The miR-200 family is a particularly nasty group of microRNAs. Changes in miR-200 family levels have been associated with enhanced tumorigenesis and significantly correlated with decreased survival.
miR-200 family members are associated with resistance to several chemotherapy drugs: docetaxel in non-small cell cancer cells1, cisplatin in breast cancer cells2, and gemcitabine in cholangiocarcinoma cells.
It has been shown that many microRNAs play an important role in regulating metastasis, the ultimate cause of death of most cancer patients, and in particular, miR-200 is responsible for direct enhancement of distant metastases of breast cancer3.
Additionally miR-200 family members are significantly over-expressed in human ovarian cancer4 and likewise are a factor in the etiology of endometriosis5.
- Rui W, Bing F, Hai-Zhu S, Wei D, Long-Bang C. (2009) Identification of microRNA profiles in docetaxel-resistant human non-small cell lung carcinoma cells (SPC-A1). J Cell Mol Med [Epub ahead of print] [abstract]
- Pogribny IP, Filkowski JN, Tryndyak VP, Golubov A, Shpyleva SI, Kovalchuk O. (2010) Alterations of microRNAs and their targets are associated with acquired resistance of MCF-7 breast cancer cells to cisplatin. Int J Cancer [Epub ahead of print] [abstract]
- Dykxhoorn DM, Wu Y, Xie H, Yu F, Lal A, Petrocca F, Martinvalet D, Song E, Lim B, Lieberman J. (2009) miR-200 enhances mouse breast cancer cell colonization to form distant metastases. PLoS One 4(9), e7181. [abstract]
- Iorio MV, Visone R, Di Leva G, Donati V, Petrocca F, Casalini P, Taccioli C, Volinia S, Liu CG, Alder H, Calin GA, Ménard S, Croce CM. (2007) MicroRNA signatures in human ovarian cancer. Cancer Res 67(18), 8699-707. [abstract]
- Filigheddu N, Gregnanin I, Porporato PE, Surico D, Perego B, Galli L, Patrignani C, Graziani A, Surico N. Differential expression of microRNAs between eutopic and ectopic endometrium in ovarian endometriosis. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:369549. [abstract]
Subscribe to the miRNA blog
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.